Anne Lorys Photography on Facebook

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Adventures in Estate Sale-ing

Another Friday, yet another wonderful sale from our good local estate sale folk!
But this wasn't just any Friday or any sale, this was the day I hit the trail with one of my new junkin BFF's,
Jan from The Polka Dot Barn. Jan all by herself is a hoot and a half, but this time she brought her cute mom along, and lemme tell ya, we had a blast!

I was kinda meh about the sale going in, as the advert for the sale read as follows:

This is an awesome sale full of fine things! There is wonderful Sterling Flatware by Reed & Barton~French Renaissance, Japanese Sterling Tea Set, Sterling serving dishes, Huge Mexican Sterling Bowl, Vintage Imari Dinnerware Noritake, Johnson Brothers~Sheraton Pattern, Great Vintage Pistols~Colt~Smith & Wesson~EGI, Baccarat Crystal, Victorian Glassware,  French Provincial Furniture, Oriental Rugs, Concrete Yard Art, Armoire, Sofa, end tables, Patio Furniture, Italian Pottery, Formal Sofa, Italian Tole, Crystal Sconces & Chandeliers, French Art Glass Light Fixture, Luggage, Cambridge Glass, Slipper Chairs, Vintage Jewelry, Rare Fostoria Americana Punch bowl, antiques and clean furniture.
This is one great sale that is clean and roomy!

WE WILL HAVE THIS SALE RAIN, SLEET, OR SNOW!
The sale is inside the home and it will be warm! 
We will have warm cookies for those that arrive on Friday morning!
The home is an architectural treasure, designed by O'Neil Ford, and will be for sale. 

So while some of you might be salivating over the French Provincial furniture and Fostoria punch bowl, I didn't see anything which immediately grabbed me. 'Ceptin for the warm cookies! Still, this was gonna be a day out with my new buddy, so I wasn't going to miss it for the world. I did score a handful of really great finds, so pull up a chair and prepare to drool!

My estate sale MO is as follows...while everybody else is rubberneckin' around the jewelry case and elbowing each other to get to the good silver, I stealthily sneak back to the furthest back bedroom, which is where I found this KILLER trio of vintage hats...

 

Just LOOK at those millinery flowers! Jan just about DIED when she saw that I'd grabbed this!



 

  

Just look at RUBY earnin' her keep! That girl sure can rock a hat!
But there were more, oh yes there were, and yours truly grabbed the best of the best...



The feathers....THE FEATHERS!!!...could you not die???

 

And then there was this...






 

Both the latter two hats will be coming soon to a Fiona and Twig ETSY SHOP near you!
Speaking of, this decadently glam crystal candelabra is just waiting on you right now in my shop, also grabbed at the sale...

  


  

And finally, I discovered this just hanging out in the kitchen, no price on it, looking all unassuming until I picked it up and looked closer...


It's a pie server...


All ornate and scrolly...


 

And with a MERMAID handle!!!

 

Does no one else at these sales have eyes?? Why do they pass this stuff up? Inconceivable.

My buddy JAN grabbed up her fair share of cool loot and swag, but since she's gonna post it about it soon, be sure to keep checking her wonderful blog for the REST of the story.

After the sale, we had a yummy lunch of crab cakes at a local bistro, followed by an altogether MARVELOUS visit to a local antique mall just next door. You will NOT want to miss this post, as I unearthed a remarkable treasure headed for the fields of Warrenton for ANTIQUE WEEK next month!
Next month, can you believe it??? Will I see y'all there? I sure hope so.

Upon heading back to Jan's homestead, I was treated to a tour of her jaw-dropping art studio, and was promptly gifted with this sweet pair of baby shoes that Jan had scored at last weeks estate sale...


Is she not the best???
I promise to use these in the most special of art projects, thank you sweet Jan!

And with this post I am now officially on hiatus for the next week - time to get uber serious about 
studying for next weekends Advanced Cardiac Life Support re-cert class, so I must bid the blog world adieu, with promises of a triumphant return next Sunday.

Hope your weekend AND Valentine's Day was absolutely wonderful!
See y'all soon!



58 comments:

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

You always have the coolest posts!!! I LOVE that silver pie server,man it is stunning!! Have a great nite,x0x0

Sweet Magnolias Farm said...

Oh My ..Looks like you hit the jackpot and how fun ...Well great minds think alike ..I do the same ..while all the dealers are fighting over the jewelry and glass ware ..I head for the bedrooms looking for vintage linens ..lace finds ..quilts and any other thing that awaits me ... I love the hats ..the millinery on the 1st one alone is just breathtaking !!! Thanks for sharing !!!

Blessings ..Sara of Sweet Magnolias Farm

One Cheap B*tch said...

I love that mermaid pie server. What a great find! And those hats are just beautiful! Don't you wish we still lived in the days when women wore those hats? I sometimes think I was born in the wrong decade.

Karen said...

Adore those hats and the pic server to die for!! Study hard sweet friend!!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Anne,

I love the first hat, wouldn't that be great to wear to a wedding.
Also the darling little children's shoes, adorable and can't wait to see what you do with them.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Journal Swag said...

You're a "good luck Estate Sale girl"! Those hats are gorgeous!

Hugs,
SHeila

Blue Creek Home said...

I love the hats!! You had best be getting yourself ready for the Kentucky Derby!

Rhonda

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Great finds as always!! That pie server is gorgeous! Good luck with the class! :)

alice said...

OK Miss Anne, Get to studying!!!Good catch on your last junking adventure.
smiles, alice

Lisa said...

WOW!! You guys found the good ones. LOVE the hats!!
Hugs, Lisa

Theresa said...

Oh I am jealous! What a wonderful day! I love the goodies, the pie server is the best! Oh I wish I lived closer. You take your hiatus and we'll be right here when you get back. Good luck on your studies. Hugs!

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

What great finds!! Love the hats, and the pie server is gorgeous.
Daphne

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Love the hats you purchased. Their really something.
I am looking so forward to Warrenton. I just hope the weather clears up.
Take care
Maggie

Kitt said...

My eyes are turning green with envy as we speak! Good for you for having so much fun. I think you definitely know how to work a room. Wish I had been there with you. Continued luck and fun, Anne. Happy V. Day

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love the hats! What a great score. That pie server is so unique! You have a great eye at these things...good luck with your test and we will see you later.

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

You are some serious treasure hunter ~ you snagged the best loot. Those hats, the feathers, the bling ...oh my!!!! I wish I lived closer to you ~I need some good junkin' buddies in my neck o' the woods and you and Jan (and her Mom) would be a hoot. Have a nice week off.

Dee

Chickens in the Basement said...

I'm in DT's for a good estate sale/yard sale/ auction! I am really missing my junk fix! Ruby is hot in those hats!

So, where exactly is Warrenton? Can I get there from NC in 6 hours or less?
Anna

Marlene said...

wonderful pictures! I love that pie server and silver candle stick!! what a find! I love estate sales...I went to one this weekend and found a few treasures of my own...will be posting soon!

Jan Thomason said...

We did have the best time, didn't we, Anne??? Wow, and the finds! WHOOP!! I have my pics ready, just need to get the blog post written - i'll do that in the morning.
Your best buy was the pie server and we both know why it was such a good buy...
and the first hat - oh, my, it even looks better on ruby than in our greedy little hands.
the best part of the whole day was spending it with you and getting to know each other better.
here's to BFF's!!!
jan

Mr. Flannery said...

So -- was the pie server marked?

Diane and Kelly said...

Hi Anne,
Great finds in the back bedroom. As for me, I'm a shed girl. I like to make a b-line for the shed/garage while everyone else is drooling over the china in the kitchen. That's where some of my best finds have come from.

Kelly
Second Hand Chicks

Bunnym said...

Can you say "SCORE"? Oh Anne...this is truly a dream come true. That pie server is gorgeous and I must say...Rudy looks devine. You out did yourself my friend.

tootles,
bunny

WIZARD OF ONCE WAS "WooW" said...

Anne, I am glad to see that Ruby's employment is working out so well :). Looks like you scored again girl. Nothing like ending on a high note before you have to hit the books! Have a great week and study hard.
Gale

Unknown said...

you hit the jackpot! We love the same things! love it all!

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Wow! You have the eye for great things. All of the hats are great but that first hat is gorgeous! And never have I seen such an ornate pie server. That would make even my pies taste good:) Oh, and those baby shoes, who could resist the cuteness. Hope your Valentines Day was fabulous! We are waiting for more snow here tonight. Well it is back to studying again for you missy.
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

red.neck chic said...

My hat's off to you for your SUWEEEEEEET finds!!! Love the pie server!!!

Now - go study. LOLOL

Happy Monday!!!
;-) robelyn

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Anne, those hats are amazing! The one with flowers is particularly tdf!

Annie said...

I'm jealous - so wish we had estate sales around here! I'm with you though - skip the jewelry & go for the goods where no one else is! You scored some amazing finds my friend!

Six in One Hand said...

I..*gasp* want...*gasp* that last....*gasp*...hat.

It is calling my name!!!
Great finds and I love the baby shoes!!!

Ticking and Toile said...

What a blast!! Fabulous finds! Love the pie server! Fun stuff.

Shellagh

Sylvia said...

You had me at the word "mermaid"..hahaha...those hats are a big score!

Sylvia

A Wild Thing said...

I had to chuckle when I popped over from my blog and read your profile...

Respiratory therapist-antique dealer, which comes first...is that sorta like the chicken or the egg...just curious, cause after seeing your treasures, I'm feeling a little out of breath...!

...and yes, that's my lil' pink shack er Chateau as TOT fondly calls it...my lil house is like when you buy a grungy antique and you know that if you chip it, it won't hurt it, it just makes it better...well most would've probably torn it down and started over...NOT!!! But it takes a brave soul to live in it in Iowa...sooo conservative...did I say NOT!!!

later...sharon

Auntie Cake said...

Hi Anne,
I don't know how you do it. Find the time to go hunting for new treasures and have all the lovely new posts for us. Spectacular, love all your new hats. I can't wait for garage sale season to hit Minnesota! You are making me really itching to start!
Kate

Rosemary said...

One word, Awesome!!!
I would have been right there with you looking at the stuff nobody else seemed to look at.
Wish I was going to an antique week. Sounds so great!!
Rosemary

Jamie said...

Anne! I am totally just going to stalk you and follow you on a weekend! LOL!!! Everything is fabulous. Love, Jamie

Polly said...

Looks like great fun! I haven't been to a yard sale/estate sale in so long because of the weather!! Thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through your fun trip!!

hugs,
Polly

Dixie said...

Anne... I absolutely adore those hats! Talk about a find!

have a great study week! hugs. Dixie

The Charm of Home said...

Your finds were marvelous! The hats were awesome! The pie server was really neat. I saw one shaped like it on a tablescape a few weeks ago. I can't remember where. The blogger wrote that if she could find another one she would snap it up. Good Deals!!

Unknown said...

Oh, i love it all. The hats are to die for! Good job!
Come see my blog!
www.lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

Cass @ That Old House said...

Beautiful little pie server, and the hats are darling. Amazing buys!
Cass

the old white house said...

What great finds! It's so much fun when you have a junkin buddy to go with (unless your after exactly the same stuff then you have to do the unthinkable and ACCIDENTALLY lock her in the closet or bathroom. oops. Good luck on your test. Theresa

Canace said...

Hi Anne,

Thank you for stopping by my blog and saying hello.
I'm jealous that you got to go out and play with Jan.. it had to have been great fun. .. and lovely treasures you got too!

Hope you had fun checking out Janette's work and blog too!

Winchester Manor said...

YOU'RE KILLING ME ANNE! Is it wrong to be jealous of constant fabulous finds? Your latest treasures are absolutely fabulous, I have such a weak spot for vintage hats and I'm literally drooling over here!

Enjoy your new treasures!

Hugs,
Karyn

Unknown said...

WOWEEEEE!!! You always find the best stuff Anne!

:) T

Lori said...

Anne, thank so much for stopping over to visit with me:) LOVE to death the hats that you found...esp the beauty all loaded up with fleurs, she is gorgeous...good luck on your ACLS test...the guy who i tested with this year was ridiculous...he wanted everything treated as ACS whether that was part of the scenerio he gave you or not...dumb!!! i passed with flying colors though, i just went along with his silliness...

Unknown said...

Sooooo pretty!!! Thanks for the inspiration...Your site is always a fun trip!

Happy Spring Fever ;)
Deb @ Garden Party

Romeo said...

Hi!

I guess you did score!! The hats are beautiful, but the feathered one....oh dear, I would have to eat that one! Don't worry you are there and I am here, so I will just look at the pictures and drool!

Good luck on your test - I'm sure you'll do great!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and making this handsome cat feel welcome - you are appreciated!!

Romeo

June said...

Anne the hats are too die for gorgeous!
Have a great blog break and good luck on the resert.
hugs

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hey Girl, the hats are just so amazing, and Ruby looks right at home with all the glamour! Those little shoes...ahhhh, love them. Hope you're having time to study. You know I love ya and I'm keeping you in my prayers.
hugs and love,
oh, gosh, we watched Pickers and loved it!!!!
Debra

savvycityfarmer said...

SHE SCORES!!!!!

Libbie said...

WOW! Those hats really are treasures! What a fun day...you had me at warm cookies too :)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my gosh..........you hit the big time! Fabulous...I loved the rosey hat! Yep, I've been to sales on the second day and can't believe what's left and wonder why....but even worse is to be there at the crack of dawn and see somebody carrying around all the things you want! Don'tcha wanna just grab and run? :-)

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Unknown said...

G'eve Anne ~ To DIE for pie server! & those HATS! Oy! You did really well ...

Have a beautiful day ~
Hugs, Marydon

cherry said...

GORGEOUS! Great finds...I didn't knwo you had a blog too!

pam q said...

And how were the cookies????

Awesome hats!

vignette design said...

Great finds. Glad to find your blog. Can't wait to check out more of it!

Hootin Anni said...

You found some great items that I know someone will buy from your Etsy Shop. I'm not into hats...but I'd love that mermaid handled pie server.

TIGERS for my Show n Tell

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Such lovely treasures!
Lucky you!
Debbie-Dabble


Related Posts with Thumbnails